It is a privilege to welcome you and assist you as you answer God's call to be God’s minister in this world. There are forms with which you should become familiar. We encourage you to become familiar with the USA/Canada Region Clergy Education Webpage https://www.usacanadaregion.org/ministry/clergy-development/call-ministry/educ-requirements and several links there. The form for registering your call should be filled out and sent in per the directions on the form. We also suggest that you become familiar with the Guide to Ministerial Preparation and Ordination.
In cooperation with Global Clergy Development, the USA/Canada Region offers the Modular Education Program (formerly, "Modular Course of Study"), one of several non-degree programs designed to meet the Course of Study requirements for ordination in the Church of the Nazarene. The Modular Education Program consists of 25 modules which must be completed to meet educational requirements for ordination. Other available methods to meet these requirements include a degree received from a Nazarene-approved institution in a program designed to achieve these requirements. Six modules or the equivalent of 25% of the Modular Education Program must be completed for a candidate to receive a District Minister's License. The candidate must also have held a Local Minister's License for at least one year, must be recommended for a district license by the local church board where the candidate holds membership, and the pastor of the church where he/she is a member. Once a district license is granted, the licensed minister must renew the his/her license each year through a process that includes annual ministers’ interviews. It is important that the completion of paperwork be returned to the District Secretary in a timely manner and that an appointment for an interview be made through the District Ministry Resource Center. This process also includes completing, as a minimum, at least two courses per year in the Course of Study. A licensed minister has the maximum of 10 years to complete the Course of Study from the year of their first district license granted. That length of time is meant to be supportive should it be necessary and is not the “expected normal” period of time needed to complete the Course of Study.
As you begin, here are other points of information:
- If you have attended a university or seminary, transcripts should be sent to Rev. James Lunsford for evaluation. Some general education courses might be given credit for a module. The transcripts must be official and sent directly by email or postal service from the institution to:
Rev. James H. Lunsford, Jr.
ATTN: Ministerial Studies
2713 Fly Road
Santa Fe, TN, 38482
- The MidSouth District will offer approximately 12 to 15 modules each year, from August through May. Most of these will be offered on a week night for 3 hours each meeting. The sessions will be offered utilizing the district virtual technology sites and will be available in Nashville, TN, Memphis, TN, Clinton, MS, and Hattiesburg, MS. The total class time for modules varies from 15-22 hours of class time.
- The module guides are free for download through a link on this page or at http://www.midsouthschoolofministry.org/MCOS/Forms/AllItems.aspx. There are student and faculty guides for each module. Some are of great length and could be expensive to print if you choose.
- There is a suggested sequence for beginning this course of study but it is not always applicable. It is meant to be a guide.
- There is a 4 Year Plan on this page showing when modules will be offered by the district. It is a proposed plan and it is a fluid plan and the listed modules to be offered can change.
- To register for a module, please e-mail our registrar, Rev. Amanda Sparrow at email@example.com and send her your $100 registration fee. (Make checks out to MidSouth District Church of the Nazarene.) Fees are to be sent to:
Trinity Church of the Nazrene
ATTN: Rev. Amanda Sparrow
1253 Vultee Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37217
- As modules are being offered, an announcement email will be sent to students on our mailing list. Please send firstname.lastname@example.org an email requesting to be on our distribution list to receive notification about modules.
- Modules may also be taken through an online method through Nazarene Bible College (NBC) or Northwestern Nazarene University (NNU). If this is the preference, registering for modules will be done through those institutions. For information visit these institutions’ websites.
We understand the importance of the process to complete studies requirements and to be considered for ordination in the Church of the Nazarene. We encourage questions and they are welcome always.